Crapo, Capito, Whitehouse, Barrasso and Booker introduce legislation to preserve and develop the nuclear energy sector in the United States
July 16, 2021
Washington DC–U.S. Senators Mike Crapo (R-Idaho), Shelley Moore Capito (R-West Virginia), Sheldon Whitehouse (D-Rhode Island), John Barrasso (R-Wyoming) and Cory Booker (D-New Jersey) have reintroduced the American Nuclear Infrastructure Act (ANIA), which would improve the country’s nuclear infrastructure, secure the United States uranium supply chain, grow the economy, create jobs, reduce carbon emissions and boost our energy and our national security.
“The Idaho National Lab is a world leader in the research, innovation and development of clean and reliable nuclear energy technologies” Senator Crapo said. “In order to preserve the United States’ eminence in nuclear energy, the promotion of safe, reliable and affordable nuclear energy remains essential. the US Nuclear Infrastructure Act provides a holistic approach to help strengthen the long-term sustainability of our country’s diverse energy portfolio and further facilitate our nuclear competitiveness through greater collaboration with our allies, workforce development and technology deployment advances in nuclear energy.
“It is important that we continue to position the United States as a world energy leader, and this requires us to take full advantage of all sources of America’s energy potential. In addition to our nation’s coal resources, nuclear power can provide the critical, clean and reliable electricity needed to power our homes and businesses. I am proud to join my colleagues in resubmitting this important piece of legislation that will help preserve and expand our use of nuclear energy, create jobs and strengthen our energy and national security ”, Senator Capito said.
“Nuclear power is an important source of carbon-free energy. Our bill would help power plants to operate safely and stay online, preventing them from being replaced by more polluting fossil fuels ”, Senator Whitehouse said. “We also need to invest in developing a new generation of nuclear energy technologies that can productively reuse spent nuclear fuel. ”
“The US Nuclear Infrastructure Act will strengthen both the energy and national security of the United States ”, Senator Barrasso said. “In the face of Russian and Chinese aggression, it is essential that we remain the world’s leading developer of nuclear energy technology. This bipartite law achieves this. Nuclear power is reliable and clean. Our bipartisan bill supports the continued operation of existing U.S. reactors and paves the way for the deployment of advanced nuclear technologies such as the Natrium reactor coming to Wyoming. ”
“Nuclear energy has an important role to play in the race against time to reduce carbon emissions and fight climate change” said Senator Booker. “The US Nuclear Infrastructure Act will facilitate the development of the next generation of advanced nuclear reactors, help keep our existing reactor fleet safe, and provide critical funding to clean up pollution left behind from abandoned mines located on tribal lands.” . ”
The U.S. Nuclear Infrastructure Act 2021:
- Restore American international competitiveness and global leadership;
- ANIA authorizes the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) to lead a consensus-building process in international forums to establish regulations for advanced nuclear reactor designs.
- ANIA gives the NRC the power to refuse imports of Russian nuclear fuel on grounds of national security.
- Develop nuclear energy through advanced nuclear technologies;
- ANIA creates an award to encourage the successful licensing process of next generation nuclear fuel and technology.
- ANIA demands that the NRC identify and remove regulatory barriers to enable advanced nuclear technologies to reduce industrial emissions.
- Preserve existing nuclear energy; and
- ANIA authorizes a targeted credit program to protect nuclear power plants threatened with premature closure.
- ANIA modernizes outdated rules that restrict investment in nuclear energy.
- Revitalize the US nuclear supply chain infrastructure.
- ANIA identifies modern manufacturing techniques to build better, faster, cheaper and smarter nuclear reactors.
An article by article of the bill can be found HERE. The full text of the bill can be found HERE.
The legislation that Senator Crapo championed in favor of nuclear innovation has already been enacted to ensure that research conducted at the Idaho National Laboratory continues to contribute to our diverse national energy resources and keep our country at the forefront of the industry. nuclear innovation.